CHRIS M SHIELDS
My home is a deep reflection of who I am, my family, my history, my values and all the things that I have collected that tell my story. It’s an open door that is welcoming, it surrounds me in comfort, it creates friendships, has the aromas of food cooked with love and the echoes of laughter and conversation from gatherings. By surrounding me in memories, it brings out the best of who I am and propels me into the world each day to make a difference.
My philosophy is that a home wants to tell your story. A home wants to reflect your deepest values, connect you to your past, show the world who you are today and be your foundation as you live life and create your future.
Chris M. Shields Interior Design was founded in San Francisco in 2014. I utilize my talents to create timeless and thoughtful spaces that are both beautiful and functional. With a background and degrees in both physics and design, I bring a whole-brained approach to the design of your home.
Your story drives the concept I create while my attention to detail refines and tailors your space. My skilled project management allows you to enjoy the process while our collaboration results in a beautiful home… your home.
What do you see in your future? Are you growing your friends and family? Are you thinking more long term and laying down roots? What does your home say about you today? I believe investing in your home to express who you are is one of the best investments you can make. I create interiors from the inside out, so you can bring the outside in.
Design is a thoughtful endeavor, and I bring a holistic approach to projects by offering the following process-driven services:
- Interior Design and Decoration for New-Build and Remodeling Projects
- Design and Concept Development for Residential and Commercial Projects
- Project Budgeting and Strategic Acquisition Planning
- Floor Planning, Furniture and Art Placement, Space Reallocation
- Planning Department-Ready Construction Drawings and Documentation
- Kitchen and Bath Functional Planning, Drawings and Specification
- Custom Furniture, Cabinetry and Millwork Design, Detailed Drawings and Specification
- Project Management including Scheduling, Coordination and Status Reporting
- Custom Window Treatment, Bedding and Soft-Goods Design
- Selection, Coordination and Specification of Finishes, Fixtures and Materials
- Collaboration with Architects, Structural Engineers, General Contractors and the Trades
Institute of Classical Architecture and Art (ICAA) – Professional Member
American Society of Interior Designers (ASID) – Allied Member
With the partnership of the following architects, designers, general contractors, suppliers and photographers, the projects I present have come to life. I’d like to recognize and thank the following for their expertise and ongoing support:
Hyde Street Condo - San Francisco, California: Interior Architecture/Design by Two Dragonflies SF, Inc. (Cheryl DuCote, Susan Marazza), General Contractor Peter Downey Construction Company, Inc., All Natural Stone & Tile, Eric Rorer Photography
Family Retreat - Saint Jean Cap Ferrat, France: Architecture/Design by Pierre-Yves Rochon, Furniture Selection/Customization/Textile Application by Chris M. Shields
Priory of St. Teresa of Avila Church - San Francisco, California: Seam Perfect Wallcovering, Cosme Flores Painting, Kelly Vorves Photography
Traditional Family Home - Hillsborough, California: Tony Kitz Oriental Carpets, Stuart Locklear Photography
Castro Condo Remodel - San Francisco, California: General Contractor Lindquist Custom Construction, Inc., Kelly Vorves Photography
Web site design + development; portrait photography: Robert Whitworth Creative